- NEw Town rivulet and creek road
- July 2023. City of Hobart has released a draft Local Area Mobility Plan (LAMP) for the northern suburbs, which includes a proposed separated cycleway along Creek Road. There is a narrow footpath alongside New Town Rivulet but it's in poor condition, disjointed and lacks space.
- The proposed bi-directional separated cycleway along Creek Road is 2.7m wide with a 300mm buffer from the 3.0m wide travel lanes. It has been identified as high priority in the LAMP.
- A shared path along the New Town Rivulet between Lenah Valley Road and the Intercity Cycleway has been identified as a long term priority in the LAMP.
- New Town Rivulet - Main Road to Brooker Hwy
- Nov 2022. There are a number of gaps in the New Town Rivulet Track in this section but there is a lot of potential to make improvements. This section forms part of an important detour for the Intercity Cycleway, if works need to be carried out on bridges along the cycleway.
- Major works would include a link between the Intercity Cycleway and New Town Rivulet Track and replacing the stairs at Main Road with a long ramp.
- Other works include:
- 1. Risdon Road crossing
Install refuge on Ridson Road. Potential location is north of Bell St where there is already a traffic island. The footpath on the western side of Risdon Rd is wider than the footpath on the eastern side but there is a squeeze point by a pole at Emmett Place.
- 2. Entry to path leading to Wilmslow Road
Remove bollards. Install permanent directional signage “New Town Rivulet Track 500m"
- 3. Wilmslow Rd – path leading to Risdon Road
Install kerb ramp at path entry. Remove bollards on path. Install permanent signage “Risdon Road 80m”
- 4. Tower Road crossing
West side - Install kerb ramp
East side – Move fence back closer to rivulet and concrete the corner to create a crossover point for people crossing Tower Rd from the New Town Rivulet Track. Add kerb ramp on Wilmslow Ave to transition on/off the quiet local road.
- 5. New Town Rivulet Track – light pole
Investigate option for using existing light pole on school oval to provide additional lighting for rivulet track. Improve track surface and widen.
- 6. New Town Rivulet / Central Ave Bridge intersection
Remove chicane gates. Install permanent directional signage on the track.
- 7. Central ave access path
Realign to move path away from blind corner.
- Maypole Creek
- There is potential for a shared path between the Intercity Cycleway and Augusta Rd along the power line easement in the Maypole Creek corridor. It’s a mix of TasNetworks land, Council land and Education Dept land. It would create a completely off-road link from Lenah Valley to New Town and the City. It links up several schools and provides a connection between residential areas and New Town Plaza along a green belt.